A spicy stew made of fish, blue crab, baby octopus, shrimp, and other seafood. It is seasoned with red chili powder sauce, giving it a hot, zesty flavor.
Ingredients (serve 4)
2 small octopus (1lb, 500g), 1 blue crab, 4 shrimps (3 oz, 90g), 8 short-necked clams, 8 mussels, 3 oz (90g) styela clava (stemmed sea squirt), 4 oz (120g) white radish, 3 oz (90g) bean sprout, 3 oz (90g) oyster mushroom, 3 oz (90g) Korean watercress, 2 green chili pepper (1 oz, 30g), salt as needed
Saltwater 1 tablespoon salt, 1 cup water
Broth 6 cups water (1.5L), 8 mussels, 8 clams, 2 tablespoons soy sauce for soup, salt as needed
Seasoning 3 tablespoons gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), 1 tablespoon gochu-jang (red chili pepper paste), 1 tablespoon doenjang (soybean paste), 4 tablespoons water, ½ tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce for soup, 1 teaspoon ginger juice, 2 tablespoons rice wine, salt as needed
1. Wash the clams and mussels and add to a large saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the clams and mussels and set aside. Strain the broth in a colander with cheesecloth to remove sand.
2. Wash the blue crabs with a brush. Take off the crabs shell and remove inside gills. Cut the crabs in quarters.
3. Remove the ink sac from the small octopus and rub with 1 teaspoon of salt and wash in cold water. Cut into 2-inch (4~5-cm) long segments.
4. Wash the shrimps and styela clava in the saltwater then strain.
5. Cut the radish into 1x1x¼-inch (3x2x0.6-cm) pieces. Remove the head and tail of bean sprouts.
6. Slice the chili pepper diagonally.
7. Remove the leaves from the watercress. Cut the stalks of watercress into 2-inch (5-cm) long segments.
8. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients of the seasoning and mix well.
1. In a large saucepan, spread the radish and bean sprouts and place the blue crabs, small octopus, shrimps, styela clava, clams and mussels. Add the seasoning liquid over the seafood.
2. Season the broth to taste with salt and soy sauce for soup. Add to the sauce pan and bring to boil over medium heat until the radish and seafood are cooked.
3. Add the watercress and chili pepper and cook for 3 minutes more.