This dish is made by boiling seasoned beef with a variety of vegetables in a broth. Cooked right at the table, this hot pot dish is seasoned with salt and boiled until the egg in the center becomes soft boiled.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 lb beef (sirloin or top round) 450g, 5 oz (150g) firm dubu, 5 oz (150g) Napa cabbage, 3 oz (90g) saesongi mushroom, 1½ oz (45g) green onion, 2 oz (60g) sweet potato noodles
Marinade for beef 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon minced green onion, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, pinch of ground black pepper
Broth 6 cups water (1.5L), 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt as needed
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients of the marinade for beef and mix well.
2. Pat dry the beef with a paper towel to remove excess blood. Slice the beef into ⅛-inch (0.3-cm) wide by 2-inch (5-cm) long strips. In a large bowl, add the beef and marinade for beef and mix well.
3. Cut the dubu into 1½x1x½-inch (4x3x1-cm) pieces.
4. Cut the cabbage in 1½-inch (4-cm) wide pieces.
5. Cut the mushroom in 2-inch (5-cm) long pieces and shred into thick strips.
6. Soak the sweet potato noodles in cold water for 20 minutes.
7. In a saucepan, add 4 cups water and bring to boil. Season to taste with soy sauce, sugar and salt.
1. In a shallow hot pot, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Stir-fry the beef till cooked.
2. Turn off the heat, and arrange the beef, dubu and vegetables in clusters side by side. Add broth and bring to boil over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked. Lower the heat to low. Serve in a bowl while it is boiling.