Rice topped with sautéed beef and a variety of colorful vegetables that is mixed at the table with spicy gochujang. A hint of sesame oil helps bring out the flavor.
Ingredients (serve 4)
4 bowls cooked white rice (2 lb, 920g), gochu-jang (red chili pepper paste), sesame oil as needed
Seasoned mushrooms: 5 fresh pyogo (shiitake) mushrooms (5 oz, 150g) (or oyster mushrooms), pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Seasoned spinach: 5 oz (150g) fresh spinach, pinch of salt, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, crushed
Seasoned bean sprouts: 5 oz (150g) fresh bean sprouts, pinch of salt, ½ tablespoon sesame oil
Marinade for beef: 5 oz (150g) ground beef, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ½ tablespoon sugar, 2 teaspoons minced green onion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, crushed, pinch of ground black pepper
1. Remove the stems of pyogo mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms into 2x⅛x⅛-inch (5×0.3×0.3-cm) julienne strips.
2. Rinse the spinach and bean sprouts thoroughly.
3. Combine all the ingredients of the marinade for the beef in a small bowl. Add the ground beef to the bowl and marinate for 5 minutes.
1. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and stir-fry the pyogo mushrooms with a pinch of salt.
2. In a medium saucepan, boil 3 cups of water and blanch the spinach for 1 minute with a pinch of salt. Rinse immediately with cold water and squeeze out the excess water from the spinach. Cut in half if necessary, then season the spinach with salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and crushed sesame seeds.
3. In a medium saucepan, put the bean sprouts and add water and a pinch of salt. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes until the beans are cooked. Remove and season the bean sprouts with salt and sesame oil.
4. Place a skillet over high heat and stir-fry the marinated beef.
5. Place a scoop of cooked rice in the individual bowl and arrange the pyogo mushroom, spinach, bean sprouts and beef side by side on top of the rice.
6. Serve the gochu-jang and sesame oil on the side.