Bibimbap served in a sizzling hot stone pot. The crispy rice at the bottom, mixed with various toppings and gochujang, remains piping hot until the end of the meal.
Ingredients (serve 4)
4 cups cooked rice (2 lb, 920g), 4 tablespoons sesame oil, 4 dolsot (stone pot)
– Marinade for beef 3 oz (90g) beef, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine, 1 teaspoon sugar, pinch of ground black pepper, sesame oil as needed
– Seasoned white radish 3 oz (90g) white radish, ½ tablespoon gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), ½ teaspoon salt, ⅔ tablespoon sugar, ⅔ tablespoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon crushed toasted sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon minced garlic
– Seasoned bean sprouts 3 oz (90g) bean sprouts, salt as needed, ½ teaspoon sesame oil
– Seasoned mushrooms 4 oz (120g) oyster mushrooms, salt as needed, ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
– Seasoned carrot 2 oz (60g) carrot, salt as needed,vegetable oil as needed
– Seasoning 4 tablespoons gochu-jang (red chili pepper paste), 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons Korean pear juice, ½ tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons sesame oil
– Garnish 4 fried eggs, 4 lettuce leaves
1. Slice the beef into julienne strips. In a medium bowl, add the beef strips and all ingredients of marinade for beef and then mix well. Heat a skillet and stir-fry the marinated beef strips over high heat till cooked to preference.
2. Cut the white radish into 2x⅛x⅛-inch (5×0.3×0.3-cm) strips. In a medium bowl, add the radish strips and all ingredients of seasoning for white radish and then mix well.
3. In a medium saucepan, add bean sprouts, 2 cups water and ⅓ teaspoon of salt. Cover the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes until the bean sprouts are cooked. Remove and season the bean sprouts with salt and sesame oil.
4. Remove the bottom of stems of oyster mushrooms. Shred the oyster mushrooms into julienne strips. Place a skillet over medium heat. Add ½ tablespoon of the vegetable oil and stir-fry the oyster mushrooms.
5. Slice the carrot into julienne strips. Place a skillet over high heat and stirfry the carrot strips with a pinch of salt. Spread the carrot strips to cool on a plate.
6. Slice the lettuce leaves.
7. Combine all ingredients of seasoning and mix well.
1. Grease the individual stone pots with sesame oil and place a scoop of cooked rice within. Arrange the beef, radish, bean sprouts, oyster mushrooms and carrot side by side on top of the rice. On top of vegetables place a fried egg and lettuce leaves.
2. Place the stone pot over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and serve with gochu-jang seasoning.