A smooth porridge made with mashed pumpkin flesh, with the seeds removed, and sweet rice powder or rice balls. Red beans, black beans, or corn may be added.
Ingredients (serve 4)
2 lb (1kg) dan-hobak (kabocha squash or acorn squash), ½ cup (2 oz, 60g) glutinous rice flour or 2 tablespoons starch, 5 cups water (1.25L), ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar
1. Cut the pumpkins into halves. Remove the seeds and put them face down onto a work surface. Peel the outer skin and slice into ½-inch (1-cm) thick pieces.
2. In a small bowl, add glutinous rice flour and 1 cup cold water. Stir well.
1. In a pot, put the sliced pumpkin and pour the 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, with a lid on, for 20 minutes.
2. Once softened, roughly mash the pumpkin in the pot.
3. While boiling the pumpkin, add the glutinous rice flour and water mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon.
4. Keep stirring until well combined to prevent lump from forming. Add salt and sugar according to your taste. Simmer for 10 more minutes until it begins to thicken. Serve immediately.