Rice and pine nuts are puréed and simmered until thick. The nutty aroma and velvety texture make it a wonderful appetizer or recovery food.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 cup short-grain rice (7 oz, 220g), ½ cup pine nuts (2½ oz, 75g), 5 cups water (1.25L), honey and salt as needed
1. Rinse the rice and soak in the water for 30 minutes and then drain.
2. Blend the rice and 1 cup of water together in a grinder. Drain liquid through fine sieve, keeping the rice solids.
3. Blend the pine nuts and ½ cup of water together in a grinder and then drain through a fine sieve, keeping the pine nuts solids.
1. In a heavy saucepan, add the rice and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over low heat and stir with a wooden spoon.
2. When the rice mixture becomes transparent and thickens, pour the pine nut mixture slowly while stirring in one direction with wooden spoon to release the lumps.
3. Cook for 10 minutes. When the lumps release and it becomes smooth, cook for 5 minutes more. Serve with honey and salt.