Porridge made from finely ground black sesame and rice, resulting in a bittersweet, nutty flavor. Black sesame contains a high concentration of digestive enzymes, which help maintain liver and kidney health, making it ideal for people recovering from illness.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 cup short-grain rice (7 oz, 220g), ½ toasted black sesame seeds (2 oz, 60g), 6 cups water (1.5L), honey and salt as needed
1. Rinse the rice and soak in the water for 30 minutes, and then drain.
2. Blend the rice and 1 cup of water together in a grinder. Drain liquid through fine sieve, keeping the solids.
3. Blend the toasted black sesame seeds and 2 cups of water together in a grinder and then strain in a fine sieve. Keeping liquid, and discarding the solids.
1. In a heavy saucepan, add the blended rice, blended black sesame seeds liquid and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil over low heat for 15 minutes and stir with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps.
2. When the rice porridge becomes thick, place in a serving plate and serves with honey and salt.