A local specialty of Gangwon Province, Makguksu (buckwheat noodles) is made of buckwheat noodles in a kimchi soup. Gangwon Province is famous for its buckwheat noodle dishes, as it is a highland region with an environment ideal for growing buckwheat.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 lb (500g) buckwheat noodle (fresh), 4 oz (120g) Napa cabbage kimchi, ½ cucumber (2½ oz, 75g), 2 eggs, 1 grilled laver sheet toasted sesame seed, crushed as needed to taste, 2 cups kimchi liquid, 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce for soup
– Radish salad 4 oz(120g) white radish, 1 teaspoon coarse gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), ½ tablespoon white vinegar, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon salt
– Seasoning for noodles 2 red chili peppers, 2 tablespoons gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), ⅓ cup water, 1 clove garlic, ½ onion, ½ apple, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, ½ tablespoon sugar, salt as needed
– Garnish 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons hot mustard
1. In the stockpot, bring 16 cups water to a boil and add the noodles. While boiling, and add 1 cup of cold water. Then bring back to a boil and cook for 3~4 minutes or according to the package directions. Drain and rub them under cold water several times. Coil the noodles with your hands to form a bird’s nest shape and let them drain in a colander.
2. Combine the water, sugar, white vinegar, soy sauce for soup for the kimchi liquid, and then store in the refrigerator.
3. Slice the radish into 2x1x⅛-inch (5×2.5×0.3cm) pieces. Add the coarse gochut-garu to make them turn red. Add the white vinegar and sugar, and toss well.
4. Wash the cucumber and cut diagonally in ⅛-inch (0.3-cm) thick slices. Then cut the slices into ⅛-inch (0.3-cm) julienne strips again.
5. Fill a small saucepan with sufficient water to cover the eggs. Simmer the eggs for 12 minutes on the medium heat. Transfer eggs to an icewater bath to stop the cooking for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs and cut in half lengthwise.
6. Put the seasoning for noodles’ ingredients in the blender and blend them well, and let rest for at least 3 hours.
1. Place the noodles in the bottom of individual serving bowls.
2. Garnish with prepared sliced kimchi, radish salad, cucumber, shredded toasted laver, egg, crushed sesame seed.
3. Pour the kimchi liquid over them and add the seasonings for noodles.
4. Serve with white vinegar, sugar, hot mustard on the side.