Oval-shaped rice cake cooked in broth. A traditional Lunar New Year dish. Clear beef broth is most commonly used, but chicken or seafood may be added.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 lb (500g) sliced rice cake sticks fresh or prepackaged, 3½ oz (100g) beef (brisket), 6 cups water (1.5L), 2 eggs, 3 large green onion (1 oz, 30g), 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce for soup, salt, ground black pepper as needed
1. Wash the sliced rice cakes in the cold water and drain.
2. Let the beef stand in the cold water for 30 minutes then drain to remove excess blood. Slice the beef thinly across the grain.
3. Pour the 6 cups of water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. When it boils, add beef slices and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off all the fat and any foam that rises to the surface.
4. Beat the 2 eggs well with a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
5. Slice the green onions diagonally.
6. Reheat the broth with the beef and bring to a rolling boil. Season the broth to taste with additional minced garlic, soy sauce for soup and salt and add rice cakes. Continue cooking for 5 additional minutes.
7. When rice cakes have softened, add green onion and beaten eggs and stir lightly. Return broth to a boil, then season it to taste with additional salt.
8. Ladle the soup in the individual bowls. Sprinkle a pinch of ground black pepper to taste.