Beef ribs, soaked in cold water to remove the blood, and white radish chunks simmered together until tender. The clear stock is rich and savory, and the tender meat falls off the bone. (Glass noodles may be added.)
Ingredients (serve 4)
2 lb (1kg) beef short rib with bones (2-inch (5-cm) long), 1 large green onion (1 oz, 30g), 6 garlic cloves (1 oz, 30g), 12 cups water (3L), 10oz (300g) white radish, 4 tablespoons soy sauce for soup, 1 egg, salt as needed
Marinade for ribs 3 tablespoons soy sauce for soup, 4 tablespoons minced green onion, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, pinch of ground black pepper
1. Soak the beef short rib in cold water to remove any blood from the ribs.
2. Cut the radish into 2-inch (4-cm) pieces.
3. Separate egg yolks and egg whites into two bowls and beat them well with a pinch of salt. Pan-fry the yolks and whites separately on a lightly greased skillet over low heat to form very thin sheets. Cut them into 2-inch (5-cm) long fine juliennes.
4. Slice the green onion diagonally.
5. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients of the marinade for ribs and mix well.
1. Pour 12 cups water into a large pot and add the beef short ribs, green onion, garlic cloves then bring to boil. Boil for 30 minutes over medium heat. Skim off any foam and fat.
2. Pour water into a large saucepan and add the white radish them bring to boil. Cook the radish for 30 minutes over medium heat, and drain. Cut the radish into 1½x1x1-inch (4×2.5×2.5-cm) pieces.
3. When the beef short ribs is parboiled, remove the ribs from the broth and rest on a platter. Remove the extra fat and tendon, and then score the ribs diagonally ½-inch (1-cm) intervals. In a large bowl, add the ribs and marinade then mix well.
4. Add the ribs and radish into the broth and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat. Add the soy sauce for soup, minced garlic and the green onion and cook for 5 more minutes. Season to taste with salt.
5. Ladle the soup in the individual bowls. Garnish with julienned jidan.