A thick soup made of pig backbones, potato, green cabbage leaves (ugeoji), crushed perilla seeds, perilla leaves, spring onions, and garlic. A spicy dish with a deep and robust flavor.
Ingredients (serve 4)
2 lb (1kg) pork back-bones, 30 cups water (7.5L), 3 large green onion (3 oz, 90g), 12 cloves garlic (2 oz, 60g), 1 oz (30g) ginger, 2 tablespoons rice wine, 10 oz (300g) boiled radish greens (2 oz(60g) dried radish greens), 5 potatoes (1½ lb, 750g), 2 onions, 10 perilla leaves, 3 green chili pepper (1½ oz, 45g), 1 large green onion (1 oz, 30g), 2 tablespoons perilla powder, salt as needed
Seasoning 3 tablespoons gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), 1 tablespoon gochu-jang (red chili pepper paste), ½ cup water, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon minced ginger, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 4 tablespoons soy sauce for soup, salt as needed
1. Soak the pork back-bones in cold water for 3 hours to remove any blood from the bones.
2. Wash the potatoes and peel, then cut into halves. Wash the onions and perilla leaves, then cut into quarter.
3. Wash the chili peppers, slice diagonally and remove seeds. Wash the green onion and slice 1 stalk green onion diagonally.
4. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients of the seasoning and mix well.
5. Pour the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add pork back-bones, boil for 10 minutes. Remove the bones and rinse them with cold water. Add the bones to a new pot and pour enough water to cover the bones. Add the 3 stalks green onion, garlic cloves, ginger, potatoes and rice wine, and bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes over low heat.
6. Add the radish greens and cook for 20 minutes more.
7. Season with salt and add onions, perilla leaves, chili pepper and green onion and cook for 5 minutes more.
8. Add perilla powder and mix well then turn off the heat. Ladle the soup in the individual bowls.