A thick soup made of beef, shank bones, and knucklebones gently simmered for hours. Rich in protein and calcium, gomtang (beef bone soup) is a great restorative food for postpartum mothers and elderly patients.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 lb (500g) beef leg bones, 10 oz (300g) beef (brisket), 10 oz (300g) beef tripe, 10 oz (300g) beef 1st stomach, 10 oz (300g) white radish, 2 large green onions (2 oz, 60g), 6 garlic cloves (1 oz, 30g), ½ cup soy sauce for soupsalt, ground black pepper as needed, 2½ gal (10L) water
Marinade for beef 4 tablespoons soy sauce for soup, 1 tablespoon minced green onion, ½ tablespoon minced garlic, pinch of ground black pepper
Seasoning 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons water, 4 tablespoons chopped green chili pepper, 1 tablespoon minced green onion, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 tablespoon gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Soak the beef leg bones in cold water for 2 hours to remove any blood from the bones.
2. Prepare the tripe and stomach by trimming. Soak the brisket in cold water for 20 minutes to remove any blood.
3. Wash the radish and cut in quarter.
4. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients of seasoning and mix well.
1. Add beef leg bones and pour water to cover the bones and bring to a boil. When it boils, discard the water. Pour enough clean water to cover and bring to a boil over low heat.
2. When the broth turns milky-white, move the broth into another bowl. Pour clean water over the bones and bring to boil over low heat. Repeat the process 3 times and keep all the broth.
3. In a large pot, pour broth and add brisket, tripe, stomach, radish, green onion and garlic cloves. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When the radish becomes tender, remove the radish and set aside. Cook the brisket, tripe and stomach for 50 minutes more. Then remove them from broth.
4. Cut the radish into 1x1x½-inch (3x3x1-cm) pieces. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients of marinade for beef and add the radish, brisket, tripe and stomach mix well.
5. Add the radish, brisket, tripe and stomach back into the broth and bring to boil over medium heat for 20 minutes. Season to taste with soy sauce for soup and salt.
6. Ladle the soup in the individual bowls. Serve with seasoning, salt and ground black pepper.