This soup is prepared by boiling deshelled jaecheop (freshwater marsh clams) with chopped thread scallions or chives in an Asian clam-based broth. Jaecheop are harvested mostly in the Seomjingang River area, which has led jaecheop soup to become a popular local specialty inthe nearby Hadong area.
Ingredients (serve 4)
1 lb (500g) Asian clams, 4 oz (120g) Korean chives, 1 tablespoon rice wine, 5 cups water (1.25L), salt as needed
1. Rub the clams to wash. Soak the clams in the cold water for 2 hours to remove sand.
2. Slice the chives into ½-inch (1-cm) long segments.
3. In a large pot, add the clams, water and rice wine and bring to a boil for 15 minutes over high heat. Remove the meat from clams with chopsticks and set aside.
4. Strain the broth in a colander with cheesecloth to remove sand.
5. In a large pot, add the broth and season to taste with salt. Add clam meat and chives and bring to boil over high heat. When it boils, turn off the heat and ladle the soup in the individual bowls.