Monkfish braised in a spicy sauce with bean sprout and Korean parsley. This is a delicacy of chewy monkfish and crispy vegetables prepared in perfect harmony.
Ingredients (serve 4)
20 oz (600g) monkfish, 6 cups water (1.5L), 1 tablespoon doenjang (soybean paste), ⅓ oz (10g) ginger, 2 tablespoons rice wine, 3 oz (90g) warty sea squirt, 15 oz (450g) bean sprout, 4 oz (120g) Korean watercress, 1 large green onion (1 oz, 30g), 2 green chili peppers, 2 red chili peppers, 4 tablespoons rice wine, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 cup water, 3 cups anchovy broth (750ml)
Salt water 3 tablespoons salt, 6 cups water (1.5L)
Seasoning for braising 4 tablespoons gochut-garu (red chili pepper powder), 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons minced green onion, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, ½ tablespoon minced ginger, 2 tablespoons rice wine, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, pinch of salt, pinch of ground black pepper
Starch water 3 tablespoons starch, 3 tablespoons water
Cho-ganjang (soy sauce with vinegar) 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon horseradish
1. Remove the intestines of monkfish. Cut monkfish into pieces and wash with salted water. Drain in a colander. Wash the warty sea squirt with salted water and drain in a colander as well.
2. In a large saucepan, add 6 cups water, doenjang, ginger, and rice wine. Bring to a boil, and blanch monkfish.
3. Cut off the head and tail of bean sprouts. Pour the 1 cup water in the large saucepan. Blanch the bean sprouts for 5 minutes in medium heat.
4. Tear the leaves off from Korean watercress and cut into 4-inch (10-cm) long pieces. Slice the green onion and pepper diagonally.
5. Mix all of seasoning ingredients for braising.
6. Prepare starch water by mixing the starch and water, whisking to remove lumps.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil and stir-fry the garlic. Add the blanched monkfish and half of braising seasoning. Add anchovy broth and blanched bean sprout water.
2. Add the warty sea squirt, bean sprouts, Korean watercress, green onion, chili peppers and rest of the braising seasoning.
3. Bring to a boil then add the starch water. Heat while mixing to thicken stew.
4. Serve the braised spicy monkfish with cho-ganjang.