Ingredients (serve 4)
2 whole chickens (or Cornish hens, 1 lb (500g) each) or 4 whole young chickens, 16 cups water (4L), 1 cup glutinous rice (8 oz, 225g), 4 chestnuts, 10 jujubes, 8 cloves garlic, 1 oz (30g) milk vetch root
Garnish seasoning salt, ground black pepper as needed
1. Wash the cavity of the chickens under running water. Remove any excess fat inside the chicken cavity.
2. Wash the glutinous rice and soak in water for 30 minutes. Peel the chestnut by scraping with a knife and wash under running water. Wash the jujube by rubbing with brush.
3. Stuff the cavity of each chicken with the milk vetch root, chestnut, jujube and garlic.
4. In a large pot, place the glutinous rice in the bottom and put stuffed chickens. Pour the water over top. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. When it boils, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes.
6. Place each chicken with glutinous rice and other ingredients into a large individual bowls, and ladle the broth over top.
7. Add the salt and ground black pepper according to your taste.